Dr. Al Danenberg ● Nutritional Periodontist
April 3, 2022
Here’s a flavorful twist for a great cup of coffee – chicory coffee. Less caffeine than a cup of only coffee and smoother with less bitterness than a cup of Joe. If you have been to Café Du Monde in New Orleans, then you probably are familiar with their chicory coffee.
When my wife and I want coffee in the morning, I make enough Frothy Keto Chicory Coffee for both of us. That’s all I have until my first meal around 2PM in the afternoon.
Look at the ingredients. The fats in the coffee keep me in ketosis until my first meal. If your body is not used to these quantities of healthy fats, you must start slowly. Use smaller portions of heavy cream and MCT Oil at first. Or else, you and the toilet may take center stage for the rest of the day. So, gradually increase the amount of fats until you reach the suggested measures in my recipe. Or use whatever amount of fat that is perfect for you.
- 4 Tbs freshly coarse-ground organic coffee beans (I like Mayorga Café Cubano whole Arabica beans)
- 1 Tbs ground chicory (I use Frontier Co-Op Organic Chicory)
- 1/4 Tsp of baking soda (to reduce the acidity in coffee)
- Pinch of Original Himalayan Salt
- 24 oz natural spring water (I use Mountain Valley Spring Water)
- 6 Tbs organic, pastured heavy cream – raw if possible (I use Working Cows Heavy Whipping Cream)
- 2 Tbs MCT Oil (I use Sports Research MCT Oil)
- Grind beans to coarse grind
- Place ground beans, chicory, baking soda, and salt into French Press
- Boil water and wait 1 minute after boiling
- Add about 1/3 of the water to the French Press carafe and stir to mix coffee grounds and chicory thoroughly with the water
- Add the remaining water, stir, place the plunger, and set timer for 3.5 minutes
- While coffee is brewing, add heavy cream and MCT Oil into a 4-cup measuring cup
- Slowly press the coffee grounds and chicory to the bottom of the carafe after the 3.5-minute brewing time
- Pour the chicory coffee into measuring cup
- Blend mixture until well mixed and frothy using a stick blender
- Share and enjoy with your spouse or a friend. Put the remainder into a Thermos-type container to keep warm.
Schedule a ”30-Minute Free Consult” with me to answer some of your questions and determine if we are a good fit for a coaching program! CLICK HERE.
If you don’t want to miss out on new posts, sign up for my Free “Belly Bites” Newsletter and receive your free copy of Dr Al’s “5 Things That Could Be Impacting Your Health Right Now” HERE.