Dr. Al Danenberg ● Nutritional Periodontist
July 23, 2020
I love my coffee. It’s organic, pressed, and awesome. Let me share how I enjoy my morning coffee. But first, you need to know that it has plenty of saturated healthy fats to support my 2:1 fat-to-protein ratio for my Better Belly Blueprint requirement. As an optional ingredient, I add an egg yolk. Egg yolks have natural egg yolk lecithin, which is an emulsifier that blends and smooths out the other ingredients.
If your body is not used to these quantities of healthy fats, you must start slowly. Use smaller portions of heavy cream and ghee at first. Or else, you and the toilet may take center stage for the rest of the day. So, gradually increase the amount of saturated fats until you reach the suggested measures in my recipe. Or, use whatever amount of fat that is perfect for you.
You will need a blender to get the mixture to froth. I use a stick blender like the Cuisinart Hand Blender.
This recipe makes 2 cups of coffee with the additional volume due to the other ingredients. (TIP: If you want less acid in your coffee, add 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda into the French Press to “neutralize” some of the acidity. If you want to add some trace minerals and a little extra taste, add 1/8 teaspoon of Himalayan salt.)
- 4 Tbs freshly ground organic coffee beans (I like Mayorga Café Cubano whole Arabica beans)
- 16 oz natural spring water (I use Fiji Artesian Water)
- 1/8 Tsp of baking soda to neutralize some acidity (optional)
- 1/8 Tsp of Himalayan salt for added trace minerals and extra taste (optional)
- 2 Tbs organic heavy cream (raw cream if available)
- 2 Tbs Ghee made from butter of grass-fed cows (Recipe)
- 2 Scoops (50 cc) Collagen Peptides (I use Vital Proteins)
- 1 Egg yolk (optional)
- Grind beans to coarse-grind
- Place ground beans in French Press and add water that has come to a boil and cooled for 1 minute; stir in the grinds and then brew for 4 minutes (add 1/4 tsp of baking soda and/or 1/8 tsp of Himalayan salt if desired)
- While coffee is brewing, add heavy cream, Ghee, collagen peptides, and optional egg yolk into 4-cup measuring cup
- Press brewed coffee after 4 minutes of steeping and pour hot coffee into measuring cup
- Blend mixture until well mixed and frothy with a stick blender
- Put into Thermos-type container to keep warm and enjoy!
Schedule a ”30-Minute Free Consult” with me to answer some of your questions and determine if we are a good fit for a coaching program! CLICK HERE.
If you don’t want to miss out on new posts, sign up for my Free “Belly Bites” Newsletter and receive your free copy of Dr Al’s “5 Things That Could Be Impacting Your Health Right Now” HERE.