Dr. Al Danenberg ● Nutritional Periodontist
September 6, 2020
Organs are the most nutrient-dense foods on earth. And consuming freshly cooked organs (or capsules of desiccated organs) is vital for a healthy animal-based diet. This recipe uses sweetbreads, which can be either pancreas or thymus. I used thymus sweetbreads for this recipe. Thymus sweetbreads and liver are my favorite organs to prepare and eat.
Sweetbreads are exceptionally high in protein, Vitamins C and B12, selenium, and phosphorus, among many other nutrients. They are not only nutritious; they are tender, creamy, and delicious.
If you have never tried this delicacy, I suggest you try it. You may be surprised. This may become one of your favorites.
Ingredients, Step 1:
- 1 lb sweetbreads
- Enough filtered water to submerge the sweetbreads
- 1 Tsp Himalayan salt for poaching water
- Additional Himalayan salt after poaching
Ingredients, Step 2:
- 3-4 Tbs butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 C shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 C fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
Preparation Step 1:
- Rinse sweetbreads thoroughly in cold water.
- In pot, bring water and salt to a boil. Reduce to a gentle simmer.
- Add sweetbreads and poach for 3 minutes.
- Remove the sweetbreads, discard the liquid, and place the sweetbreads on a cutting board to cool.
- Once the sweetbreads are cool, remove any membrane and slice them into 1-inch-thick pieces.
- Salt sweetbreads on both sides and go to next step.
Preparation Step 2:
- In separate saucepan, add butter; heat on low. Add mushrooms and onions; cook until they are soft.
- Remove mushrooms and onions; and set aside.
- Raise heat to medium, and add additional butter if needed
- Place sweetbreads in pan and cook until they are golden brown (only 2-3 minutes on each side). Be sure not to overcook.
- Plate the sweetbreads and return the mushrooms and onions to the pan.
- Add fresh parsley (optional) and cook for additional 1 minute.
- Drizzle the butter, mushroom, onion, and parsley mixture over the sweetbreads and enjoy.
Check out my new training on the Better Belly Blueprint! You can watch it HERE.
Hi Dr Al, Thanks for the recipes. I now have and crave the sweetbreads, love them. Great work. Lesley