Dr. Al Danenberg ● Nutritional Periodontist
September 6, 2020
Organs are the most nutrient-dense foods on earth. And consuming freshly cooked organs (or capsules of desiccated organs) is vital for a healthy animal-based diet. This recipe uses sweetbreads, which can be either pancreas or thymus. I used thymus sweetbreads for this recipe. Thymus sweetbreads and liver are my favorite organs to prepare and eat.
Sweetbreads are exceptionally high in protein, Vitamins C and B12, selenium, and phosphorus, among many other nutrients. They are not only nutritious; they are tender, creamy, and delicious.
If you have never tried this delicacy, I suggest you try it. You may be surprised. This may become one of your favorites.
Ingredients, Step 1:
- 1 lb sweetbreads
- Enough filtered water to submerge the sweetbreads
- 1 Tsp Himalayan salt for poaching water
- Additional Himalayan salt after poaching
Ingredients, Step 2:
- 3-4 Tbs butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 C shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 C fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
Preparation Step 1:
- Rinse sweetbreads thoroughly in cold water.
- In pot, bring water and salt to a boil. Reduce to a gentle simmer.
- Add sweetbreads and poach for 3 minutes.
- Remove the sweetbreads, discard the liquid, and place the sweetbreads on a cutting board to cool.
- Once the sweetbreads are cool, remove any membrane and slice them into 1-inch-thick pieces.
- Salt sweetbreads on both sides and go to next step.
Preparation Step 2:
- In separate saucepan, add butter; heat on low. Add mushrooms and onions; cook until they are soft.
- Remove mushrooms and onions; and set aside.
- Raise heat to medium, and add additional butter if needed
- Place sweetbreads in pan and cook until they are golden brown (only 2-3 minutes on each side). Be sure not to overcook.
- Plate the sweetbreads and return the mushrooms and onions to the pan.
- Add fresh parsley (optional) and cook for additional 1 minute.
- Drizzle the butter, mushroom, onion, and parsley mixture over the sweetbreads and enjoy.
Check out my new training on the Better Belly Blueprint! You can watch it HERE.