Alvin H. Danenberg, DDS • Nutritional Periodontist
May 10, 2017
This is a great dish. Once you make the “basics”, you can add any protein you choose. In this recipe, I added cooked brisket. You could use flank steak, any type of roast, pork butt, even ground beef – you choose.
Here are two proteins I haven’t tried – chicken livers or sweetbreads. They might be delicious in this basic recipe. However, don’t allow these organ meats to overcook.
- 2 onions
- 5 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 6 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 cups bone broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional herbs to taste (turmeric, red pepper flakes, sage)
- 2-4 pounds of cooked brisket, flank steak, any type of roast, pork butt (all sliced into serving-sized pieces) or ground beef
- Power greens (mixture of chard, kale, and spinach)
- In a Dutch Oven or saucepan, place onions, garlic, carrots, blueberries, and bone broth.
- Cover and cook approximately 1 hour on low to medium heat (until carrots are soft).
- Uncover and raise heat to medium to reduce liquid.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add additional herbs to taste.
- Add meat and simmer another 5 minutes to combine flavors.
- Place “power greens” on serving plate.
- Spoon the Blueberry Beef over greens.