Alvin H. Danenberg, DDS • Nutritional Periodontist
March 1, 2017
Kids love chocolate milk. Generally, as a parent, your choice has been either pasteurized conventional milk (whole, 2%, or skim) with overly processed chocolate syrup or pasteurized organic milk (whole, 2%, or skim) with overly processed chocolate syrup. None of these options, in my opinion, are acceptable. I believe I have a healthier chocolate milk choice.
I use coconut milk, raw cacao powder, raw honey, and a pastured egg yolk. If you and your family can tolerate milk products, you could use raw whole milk (unpasteurized and unhomogenized).
Try it for yourself. Then, get the real thumbs up from your kids. My recipe has more calories than conventional chocolate milk, but the calorie sources are healthier than those from conventional chocolate milk. I use full-fat organic coconut milk, but you could substitute it with “lite organic coconut milk” to reduce the caloric load. As I mentioned above, you could use raw milk if you and your family can tolerate casein and lactose.
- 1 Tbs organic raw cacao powder
- 1 Tbs local raw honey (adjust amount based on desired sweetness)
- 1 Pastured, raw egg yolk
- 1 13.5-ounce can of organic coconut milk (I use Trader Joe’s organic coconut milk in BPA-free cans, which only contains organic coconut and water.)
- In a blender, place all ingredients (I use my Vitamix or my Nutribullet)
- Blend thoroughly
- Pour for yourself and your child. Enjoy!