Alvin H. Danenberg, DDS • Nutritional Periodontist
October 26, 2016 [printfriendly]
Beetroots are unbelievably healthy! Among other nutrients, they contain phytonutrients called betalains, which make beets red and provide antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and detoxification support. Beets also have a significant amount of fiber as well as folate.
I have tried various recipes for beet soup, but this is my favorite because it is easy and it contains my homemade bone broth, which has its own awesome health benefits. I also sneaked into the recipe some kelp granules for trace minerals and iodine. Try it yourself.
Remember two things: (1) Beets stain everything; so, you may want to wear non-latex gloves for their preparation. Also, (2) the betalains in beets are sensitive to excessive heat; so, you should use low heat for a short time.
In the picture above, I added a dollop of coconut cream and orange zest as garnish.
Best Beet Soup
- 6 Raw beetroots, quartered with peels on
- 1 Can (13.5 oz.) full fat coconut milk (I use Trader Joe’s Organic coconut milk that has no additives)
- 2 Cups homemade bone broth HERE
- 1 Tsp fresh ginger, grated (If you freeze the fresh ginger first, it will be easier to finely grate)
- Zest of one orange (about 1 Tsp)
- 1/2 Tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 Tsp ground Ceylon cinnamon
- 1 Tsp kelp granules (I use Maine Coast Sea Seasonings)
- 1/2 Tsp sea salt
- 1/2 Tsp pepper
- Optional: fresh herbs, coconut cream, and orange zest for garnish
- Steam beets for 15 minutes.
- Place beets, coconut milk, and bone broth in large pot to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add ginger, orange zest, cardamom, cinnamon, kelp granules, salt, and pepper to soup.
- Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Pour soup into Vitamix (or any powerful blender), and blend until smooth.
- Adjust seasonings for taste.
- Place into serving bowls. Enjoy! (It’s also delicious cold.)
- Optional: Garnish with fresh herbs, coconut cream, and orange zest.