Alvin H. Danenberg, DDS October 20, 2015
This is a creamy gumbo because I used a roux made with almond flour, arrowroot flour, and ghee. How can you go wrong with okra, sausage, and shrimp? Remember, all ingredients are organic. The sausage is made with pastured pork from a local farm, and the shrimp is freshly caught from the waters of Charleston, SC.
Shrimp & Sausage Gumbo
1/4 Cup ghee (or grass-fed butter)
2 Tbs almond flour
2 Tbs arrowroot flour
1 red onion, coarsely chopped
2 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
4 Cups homemade bone broth
2 Cups okra, cut into 1/2-inch discs
1 Lb pastured pork sausage, cut into 1-inch discs
2 Bay leaves
2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
2 Tsp Old Bay Seafood Seasoning
1/2 Tsp red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
1 Lb peeled, raw shrimp
- Add ghee (or butter) into large saucepan or Dutch oven and set temperature to low heat.
- Add flours and stir continuously until the mixture turns a golden color (5-10 minutes).
- Add 1/2 cup of bone broth and blend. Then add onion, celery, garlic. Cook on medium heat until ingredients are soft (about 10-15 minutes); stir continuously.
- Slowly add remaining bone broth and blend. Then add okra, sausage, bay leaves, Worcestershire sauce, Old Bay, and red pepper flakes. Bring to boil. Then simmer and continue cooking until okra is tender and sausage is cooked.
- Cook until liquid is reduced to desired consistency. Then salt and pepper to taste.
- Add shrimp and cook until pink (about 2-3 minutes). Do not overcook shrimp, or they will be tough.
- Remove bay leaves, and serve in a bowl. Enjoy!