Alvin H. Danenberg, DDS • Nutritional Periodontist
January 3, 2018
This dish has some great flavors. A little sweet from the molasses and a little burn from the red pepper flakes. It also brings three nutrient-dense foods together in one place – Brussels sprouts, shiitake mushrooms, and homemade bone broth.
- Brussels sprouts are in the crucifeous family. They are an excellent source for vitamin C and vitamin K. They also are a good source for numerous nutrients including folate, manganese, vitamin B6, dietary fiber, choline, copper, vitamin B1, potassium, phosphorus and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Shiitake mushrooms are an excellent source for copper, Vitamin B5, and selenium as well as other nutrients to a lesser extent. In addition, it is a good food source for vitamin D.
- Bone broth has unique nutrients including chondroitin, glucosamine, glycine, glutamine, proline and hyaluronic acid.
In addition, I sneaked some Kelp Granules into the ingredients for their micronutrients, especially naturally occurring iodine from seaweeds.
Sweet & Savory Brussels Sprouts
- 1 14-oz. package Brussels sprouts
- 2 4-oz. packages shiitake mushrooms
- 4 tbs. ghee
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup bone broth
- 1 tsp. Kelp Granules (Maine Coast Sea Seasonings for micronutrients, especially iodine)
- 2 tbs. molasses
- salt & pepper to taste
- Slice Brussels sprouts in half
- Remove stems from shiitake mushrooms and cut caps into quarters
- Heat ghee in a large pot over low heat.
- Stir red pepper flakes and chopped garlic into the oil, cover and let them infuse into the heated oil for about 5 minutes.
- Raise heat to medium, stir the mushrooms into the mixture, and cover. Allow mushrooms to release their liquid, stirring occasionally. This should take about 5-10 minutes.
- Add chopped onion and Brussels sprouts into the mixture. Stir and cook covered for about 10 minutes.
- Add 1 cup bone broth, molasses, and Kelp Granules. Stir and simmer covered for about 10 minutes to allow vegetables to get tender.
- Remove the lid. Keep cooking until all the liquid has evaporated. This should take about 5 more minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve as a side dish. Or, you could top with chopped bacon for a delicious meal.