Dr. Al Danenberg ● Nutritional Periodontist
October 22, 2018
I am going to step on some toes here. Sorry!
My philosophy is to live a quality life with dignity. It’s my personal wish for me – not necessarily a philosophy for you. My wonderful and caring wife does not always agree with me, but she understands me. So, this is how I want to live as long as I have time on this earth.
As you may know, I am currently being challenged with an aggressive form of multiple myeloma. Conventional medicine cannot cure this disease.
I’ve said it many times. My personal and critical goal is for me to live a quality life along with maintaining my dignity. I want to do anything within my means, but on my terms, to make this happen. I am a fighter. I have an open mind and will research therapies that make sense to me.
I don’t want:
- Indiscriminate medicines that kill cancer cells but also kill a diversity of healthy cells, damaging the normal function of my organ systems and destroying my immune system
- Procedures that could extend my life but would cause a degenerative state where treatment would decrease my natural ability to enjoy my remaining years
- Treatment that might extend my life but would be significantly expensive, leaving a financial burden for my wife after I die
I want to:
- Integrate appropriate nutrition and lifestyle changes into my existing Health Plan to support the natural ability for my immune system to improve my health and heal my body
- Treat my cancer with specific therapies, which attack my cancer cells and support my natural immune system
- Dive into my bucket list to enrich my remaining life
- Spend quality and memorable time with my wife and family so that I can create beautiful memories for all of us
- Help my loved ones understand that I am at peace with my spiritual destiny
- Provide my wife with financial security to live out her remaining years with no financial stress after I die
- Take advantage of the best pain meds when the time comes because I am such a “wuss”
Conventional medicine can attack my malignant plasma cells, but it cannot cure my multiple myeloma. For the most part, conventional medicine does this at the risk of severely compromising the natural function of my immune system. So, I personally reject invasive therapy, which might further destroy my body’s healthy cells.
I don’t have a death wish; I have a health wish. However, my health wish is defined by me. I appreciate the treatment options of conventional medicine. However, many of my wishes are contrary to the therapies offered by well-intentioned professionals functioning from a myopic medical paradigm.
My Current Status
I have been religiously adhering to my plan.
Over 10 consecutive days, I received radiation treatment on my sternum. My sternum was the area where I was experiencing severe and stabbing pain. Radiation treatment was successful, and I have no pain in my sternum now. Wow!
I do get tired easily.
On 10/12/18, I had another round of blood work specific for my disease.
- Some of these tests showed that I am slightly anemic. To help correct that, I will add several supplements to improve my red blood cell count, my hemoglobin, and my hematocrit.
- Interestingly, some of the other specific tests showed slight improvement. That’s exciting! This could mean that my alternative therapies are working. However, this also could mean that the radiation treatment to my sternum caused a temporary improvement in these biomarkers. Certainly, it’s too early to tell.
I am scheduled for new lab work in one month, after which I will report those findings.