Alvin H. Danenberg, DDS • Nutritional Periodontist
August 17, 2017
Almost everybody loves ice cream. While smooth, creamy, and refreshing, traditional ice cream is not a healthy choice. So, here is my recipe for a relatively healthy ice cream. First, I use organic coconut cream instead of pasteurized cow’s milk and cream. In addition, I include avocados. Then I increase the nutrient list with matcha green tea powder. To sweeten it, I combine a banana, local raw honey, and vanilla extract.
For those not familiar with matcha green tea, it is a finely ground powder of specially grown and processed green tea leaves. Matcha has 137 times more antioxidants than regularly brewed green tea. It has a rich but an astringent taste. For more information about matcha green tea, here is a helpful source.
Green-Tea Avocado-Coconut Ice Cream
- 2 Medium, ripe avocados, pitted
- 1 Medium, ripe banana
- 1/4 Cup coconut cream (I use Trader Joe’s organic coconut cream, which is only organic coconut and water)
- 1/4 Tbs local raw honey
- 1 Tbs vanilla extract
- 1-3 Tsp matcha green tea powder (vary amount based on taste)
- Pit and scoop out avocados and peel banana
- Place all ingredients (except matcha green tea powder) into Vita-mix or high powered blender
- Blend until smooth
- Slowly add matcha green tea powder into blended mixture and continue to blend thoroughly
- Pour into a covered bowl and freeze
- Scoop out (allow to sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes before enjoying)
If you don’t want to miss out on new posts, sign up for my email alert list here.