Dr. Al Danenberg ● Nutritional Periodontist
October 2, 2022 [printfriendly]
Instant Pot Osso Buco is made from beef shank with marrow bone that is cooked at high pressure in an Instant Pot for an hour. All the tough connective tissue eventually melts into a flavorful, rich broth. And the meat is rendered tender. The result is a “fall off the bone” meat stew that is amazing.
My recipe is tweaked to fit my requirements for a delicious Carnivore stew. But I have included “optional ingredients” that adds flavor but deviates off the strict carnivore diet program.
The “optional ingredients” include some spices, an onion, and a little balsamic vinegar.
- Beef shank (about 3 pounds)
- Himalayan Salt
- White pepper
- 4 tablespoons of Ghee
- 1 large onion – chopped
- Garlic powder (optional)
- Rosemary (optional)
- Oregano (optional)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 2 cups beef bone broth
- Dry the beef shanks with a paper towel
- Season the beef shank with salt and while pepper to taste
- Set the Instant Pot to “Sauté” and wait for it to signal “Hot”
- Place about 4 tablespoons of ghee in the Instant Pot
- Sear the meat on both sides (about 3 minutes per side)
- Remove the meat and set aside for later
- Add onion into the pot with the Ghee (add additional Ghee if necessary) and cook until onion is soft and translucent (about 3-4 minutes)
- Mix in garlic powder, rosemary, and oregano
- Pour in balsamic vinegar, cook until the balsamic vinegar is reduced to at least half, and use a spatula to scrape any browned bits off the side of the pot
- Add beef bone broth and stir
- Add the seared beef shanks back into the pot
- Select “Pressure Cook” on the Instant Pot Panel
- Select “High Pressure” on the Instant Pot Panel and cook for 60 minutes
- Plate and serve as a delicious meat stew
If you don’t want to miss out on new posts, sign up for my Free “Belly Bites” Newsletter and receive your free copy of Dr Al’s “5 Things That Could Be Impacting Your Health Right Now” HERE.