Dr. Al Danenberg ● Nutritional Periodontist
July 22, 2019
You are so much more than your DNA. Your DNA is the genetic “script” for your life. But your environment is the director, the producer, the editor, and the actors who affect that script and eventually make your “play” come to life.
Your environment is the air you breathe, the water you drink, the food you eat, and the substances that you absorb. Your “play” is manipulated by the stresses you experience, the social contacts you hold dear, the sleep you allow yourself, and the physical activities in which you engage. The beliefs you embrace, the love you give, and the empathy you have for others all work to mold YOU. All elements of your environment make you who you really are. Make no mistake about it. You are more than your DNA.
To really be healthy, you have to make choices – choices in your environment. You have to control what you put into your body, what you avoid, and what you remove from your body that is toxic. Getting everything right can be a daunting task.
Some of us take the “easy” road and just pop pills to get healthy. That is not the answer.
Some of us do nothing and just let fate do its thing. That’s not the answer.
Some of us overdo it and go to extremes creating so much physical and emotional stresses in our life. That can’t be the answer.
In my opinion, the answers will come once you become proactive, delve into peer-reviewed research, and get educated about evidence-based actions you can take. Then, share this knowledge with all whom you love and cherish.
19 Action Steps
Here’s a long list of what you can do to be healthy and stay healthy. These action steps will modify your environment to affect your well-being. This is not an exhaustive list; it just includes some of the highlights that come to my mind. These are my 19 proactive action steps:
- Eat nutrient-dense, anti-inflammatory foods that are organic and not processed with chemicals of any type
- Understand the importance of a diverse and high-quality gut microbiome and strive to enhance it as required
- Avoid all products that can kill the healthy microbiome that exists in your body and on your body
- Drink healthy water that is filtered and has had contaminants and toxic substances completely removed
- Get out into nature and breathe fresh air
- Use air filters and purifiers in the home when necessary
- Thoroughly inspect your home for any chemicals and chemical residues in household cleaners; on surfaces of furniture, floors, and walls; and in pillows and bedding – remove the offenders
- Create an efficient exercise program that is not too much and not too little
- Avoid using “body products” that contain chemicals, nanoparticles, and toxic metals
- Make sure your dentist is using biocompatible materials in your mouth, or find a dentist who will
- Consider alternatives to chemical medicines obtained by prescription or over-the-counter – these include supplements that are not from real organic food sources
- Follow healthy hygiene habits to keep the outside and the inside of your body clean but NOT STERILE
- Learn about dirty ElectroMagnetic Fields (EMFs) and how they can destroy your DNA, mitochondria, and the healthy bacteria in your gut
- Obtain the restorative sleep your body requires, which is about 8 hours a night for most people
- Engage in social activities with those who share your interests
- Recognize emotional stresses in your life and learn techniques to mitigate the ones over which you have control
- Believe in something greater than yourself
- Share feelings of love
- Engage with people and empathize with their situations – you may bring more hope to them than you might imagine
How’s That For starters?
To be effective, you will need to research these 19 action steps and understand how you need to implement them in your life.